Thursday, July 3, 2008

Okay, so it's not like I just sit around all day trying to decide what I can post on my blog next. This is a rarity that I'll put two separate posts on in just one weeks time. Actually, if I was really up on things, I'd have this blog so full that you wouldn't even have time to look at all my posts. But, I HAD to include this event. It's not that I forgot, or didn't care. Just slightly "overlooked" including my girls blessing of having foot surgery. For those who haven't heard the story, here is a brief summary. One day, almost a year ago, we noticed that when Keslee stood barefoot, that her ankles looked like they were collapsing. Pictures never seem to do justice, but you can kind of see in the pic below, her right foot that has been fixed, and her left is about to be operated on. (Keslee's feet are on the left, Kemilee on the right. This was in the hospital, right before the second foot surgery.)



So, once we noticed this, we decided that we needed to talk to a podiatrist, just to check things out. Turns out that a girl that works in Tom's office (Karli - she's GREAT!), her dad is an incredible podiatrist, and happened to be in Thatcher at just the time we wanted to get her checked out. (He's from Pinetop.) This amazing doctor pioneered this procedure that corrects the problem on the girls feet. For both Kemilee & Keslee they actually went in and inserted a piece of plastic into the bone to correct the foot, and in more extreme cases, as Keslee's, they had to shorten a tendon, which gave her a longer recovery time. Poor girl! She was in a monster cast and on crutches (Linc says, "crunches") for what seemed like FOREVER! Kemilee was also on crutches, but had a lot quicker recovery time. As much of a pain as it was (I complain like it was ME on crutches!), we realize what a huge blessing it was to have been able to find Dr. Flake, and have him literally change our girls lives. He said that before their surgery's, when they would run, for them it was like they were running through sand. This corrective procedure will prevent all sorts of back, neck, knee, foot, etc. problems. We're so grateful we caught it now. We love you Dr. Flake!!

It was funny to see the difference between the girls as they woke up from anesthesia. Kemilee was a little groggy, and Keslee was just MAD! The girls getting stitches out...

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad they are doing better now. They seemed to be really good about the whole thing.

Heather said...

How blessed we are to have knowledgable doctors and staff to take care of these things. I am glad the girls are better and that they can run and play like nothing was wrong!

Suzanne said...

Thank goodness you went to a doctor, and not some guy with a DULL KNIFE like your poor baby goats.

Deanne Wahl said...

Your girls are amazing! Tell them HI for me. Also, I love your pics of the goats. Your girls look grossed out and Jackson looks like he is in hog heaven :)

Mary Ann said...

your girls have been such troopers.. seriously they have been amazing!! good thing the surgerys are over! :)

Melody said...

Thanks for sharing-- I had wondered why they both had foot surgery. I'm so glad you found such a terrific doctor to do it. I'm starting to accept that MAYBE you really were supposed to move there after all! :) It was such a nice surprise to run into you at the mall yesterday! By the way, Tyler's comment was hilarious! He must be a family member :)